Sunday, July 15, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

Through this blog I hope to be able to share our experiences, the ups and the downs, the good, the bad, and even the ugly. I want to be able to give you the reader, an idea of what it’s like to be in our shoes while we serve this mission. I will attempt to be as candid as possible while trying not to be annoying or offensive. I am about to reveal a not-so-attractive-bordering-on-ugly side of myself. Consider yourself warned. We filled out our mission papers and turned them in on June 7th. There were a lot of questions about things such as our health, work history, calling experiences, languages we speak, our financial ability to support ourselves while on our mission, prior missionary service, if we hold current passports, even our personal talents and abilities. They really want to know everything they can about the applicants so as to get a “good fit” for the assignment to be given. They also ask if there is any place in particular that we desire to serve. With much thought, we decided to leave that up to the Lord. We wrote on our application that “we will go anywhere and do anything that the Lord needs us to do.” That being said, I knew with all the talents that my amazing husband possesses, we would probably get our call to some exotic, little-known foreign country. But, we decided to keep an open mind and try not to fixate on any particular place. Hmm… We opened the big white envelope and read we have been called to serve in the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission. Wait. What? I’ll admit my immediate thought was “That’s not exotic! That’s not little-known or even foreign!” I was ashamed of how I was feeling and I knew I needed a change of attitude. I got on my knees and asked Heavenly Father to help me to be able to see this assignment in a more Christ-like way. It was after that, and sharing my feelings with my sweet husband that I was reminded that we had expressed to the Lord that we will “go anywhere and do anything” that He needs us to do…and the “anywhere” He needs us to be is in Colorado Springs. Today I am humbled. Humbled that we are in a position to be able to serve The Lord. After all, it’s not about me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some shuga!